Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
The Team and Role
Our team designs and develops robust and scalable data models for analytics and machine learning stakeholders to empower them to retrieve meaningful insights. Our Analytics Engineering team is centralized within the company and partners closely with data engineering, data platform, software engineers, ML engineers and cross functional analytics squads to stitch together datasets to create data models that are ready for consumption.
In addition to architecting data models, we implement Analytics Engineering best practices around Data Governance, Data Quality, Data Orchestration and pipeline optimization. We enable analysts to think like software engineers by defining, documenting and ensuring adoption of best practices when making contributions to the analytical code-base.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; Austin, Texas; Remote USA
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates on the East/West Coast time zones.
Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur 3 days per Quarter at alternating Upstart office locations. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Formulate a technical vision and roadmap for analytics engineering at Upstart
- Understand how data is produced and consumed at a deep level - you will need to be extremely collaborative with the teams that produce and consume the data to create an end-to-end solution that maximizes the value of our data
- Having an impact on the software engineering, analytics, and machine learning organizations by educating them on data architecture practices that improve the data landscape across the entire company
- Be a close strategic partner to analytics squads to participate in decision making on the analytics road map for Upstart
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum requirements:
- 10+ years of experience as a Data Engineer / Analytics Engineer / BI Engineer
- Strong understanding of data modeling concepts in both transactional and analytical databases
- Proven ability to design and implement the data architecture at an organizational level to lead to better outcomes for producers and consumers of the data
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills, particularly when explaining technical or complex matters to less technical co-workers
- Preferred qualifications:
- Familiarity with business intelligence visualization tools such as Looker, Tableau, Power BI, etc.
- Experience with cloud computing platforms like AWS, Azure, Google Cloud
- Thorough understanding of data lake/warehouse architectures (BigQuery, Databricks, Redshift)
- Experience prioritizing goals based on the larger picture, while being comfortable getting into the details as needed
What you'll love:
- Competitive compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
United States | Remote - Anticipated Base Salary Range
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing an application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please email email@example.com