We’d love you to join our growing product development team whose mission is to create people-centric software experiences that empower our local news and digital partners. True to our purpose, we help small teams play big! You will be an expert in data collection management, working across our newsroom and product teams, to improve our data fidelity across US media markets in our portfolio, such as the Denver Post, San Jose Mercury News, the Boulder Daily Camera and the St. Paul Pioneer Press. Check out our local news portfolio to see if we operate in a market near you.
The highly technical Google Tag Manager (GTM) specialist-engineer is responsible for the ownership of the entire tracking and implementation lifecycle across the footprint. The GTM specialist will act on requests to track specific features on sites and execute them from start to finish.
What you will do:
- Create custom triggers within Google Tag Manager to capture specific user interactions, events, and data points that are essential to our tracking requirements
- Debug and resolve tracking issues via console and inspecting the source code
- Ensure the data layer on our website is properly structured to support the triggers and data collection
- Rigorously test the triggers to ensure accuracy and reliability in capturing the desired user interactions and events
- Troubleshoot and resolve any issues or conflicts that may arise during the implementation and testing process
- Collaborate with our product and development team to ensure seamless integration of the triggers into our website
- Maintain the GTM platform and manage the account structure, access, container capacity, RegEx tables, and custom third-party tags
- Provide recommendations for the optimal code installation on the page and putting the GTM pixel code on pages
- Communicate with third-party vendors for custom tag installation; support of the ongoing relationships vital for code and tag integrations and monitoring
What you will bring:
- Proficiency in creating custom triggers, tags, and variables within GTM
- Experience in managing analytics for a high-volume of GA properties
- Knowledge of the data layer and data engineering implementation
- Experience with the implementation of Google Analytics via Google Tag Manager in brand-new properties with no prior tracking installed
- Mastery of Google Analytics including: the ability to create goals and understand event tracking strategies, comfort changing GA settings to improve data collection, understanding user permissions and analytics set up for multiple properties into groups or clusters for aggregation and the ability to set up cross-channel conversion tracking with third party technology
- Google Analytics / GTM certification preferred
- Data Analytics certification preferred
- 4-5 years in tag management platform or data engineering experience
The annual salary range is $100,000 - $110,000. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, time in role, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, MediaNews Group offers a comprehensive benefits package, and a 401K plan (all benefits are based on eligibility).
Who we are:
MediaNews Group is a leader in local news, committed to informing, inspiring and engaging readers with award-winning journalism in a diverse array of trusted publications that are integral parts of the communities they serve. MediaNews Group publishes 68 daily and more than 300 weekly publications throughout the United States, including the Denver Post, San Jose Mercury News, Orange County Register, St. Paul Pioneer Press and the Boston Herald. In print and online, our publications reach a combined audience of more than 60 million every month. We are proud of our long history of community service, providing essential news to our readers for more than 170 years. We believe that a free press is fundamental to a healthy democracy and we are committed to building a sustainable future for our journalism.
“Built In Best Places to Work 2023 Winner”